Thursday, April 19, 2012

A TREEmendous wall

After getting new carpeting and painting the walls, I wanted to do something a little different on my hallway wall. The wall is about 10 feet high and was begging for some creative feature. I am always drawn to trees but wanted more than just painted trees on the wall. Since the hallway isn't very wide, the trees couldn't be too dimensional.

I went to one of my favorite sources for inspiration, Ikea. Sure enough in the "as is" room I found two bundles of their white laminate flooring and I knew I had my trees.

I called Jen for help designing the trees. We did a very large paper pattern. Then it was just a matter of using a scroll saw and cutting the laminate pieces to shape. Since the wood is lightweight, small finishing nails hold each piece in place. The seams were covered with thin strips of aluminum, and the birds were cut from patterned paper.

I am very happy with the way the wall turned out. It was very inexpensive, about $40 in total and pretty easy to do if you can use a saw.



-Trees are cut from Ikea laminate flooring.




The birds are cut from patterned paper and the cut wood seams are covered with strips of aluminum.

Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment

01 09 10