Wednesday, March 14, 2012

VOILA, NOW THEY'RE TOTES!

Ready for the Beach!


When Jenny and I finish stamping our bleached fabric I couldn't wait  to get back to my studio to see what I would do next.  I think it was the unseasonably warm weather that had me thinking summer and days at the lake.  So I guess beach totes was the obvious outcome.  I pulled out my box of fabric, found some pieces to use as liners, did a little more embellishing on the stamped fabric and started sewing.
I started with a piece measuring 19 x 30".  If you want it lined, now is the time to cut a piece of liner fabric to the same size.
Fold fabric in half, right sides together.  Stitch down sides using 1/2" seam allowance. Repeat with lining fabric.
Putting in a gusset. Press open seam allowance.  When you press open the side seam you will see a triangle formed.  The seam must be in the middle of the triangle.  I measured 3  1/2" across the triangle and sewed along that line.  Trim away the excess, repeat at other corner.  Repeat all steps with liner.

Turn the tote right side out, fold upper edge under 1/2" and press.  With the lining inside out, fold its upper edge under 1/2" and press.  Insert the lining into the bag so that wrong sides are together and the folded upper edges align.



For the Straps I cut two pieces of fabric 4" x 24".  Press edges under 1/4", fold fabric in half, press and sew along the edges.


To attach straps insert short ends of each strap into the upper edge of the tote between two layers.  Place each strap four inches from side seam and two inches down into the bag.  Topstitch around the top of the tote 1/4" from the upper edge and sew a second seam 1/2" below the first seam.
To purchase these totes go to our etsy site: www.whitebranchstudios1.etsy.com


1 comment:

01 09 10